Monday, August 21, 2006



The Leaf.

This past March, when hiking near Sedona, I found this leaf right in the middle of the trail. If I had been looking off, I would have scrunched it. If my dog had been with me, she would have scrunched it. Would have previous hikers on the trail carefully stepped over it, or missed it by accident? In any case, the leaf was waiting for me to find it.

Right now, the finished exhibition print is at the Fort Collins Museum of Contemporary Art, waiting to be hung in the Studio Tour Preview show, which opens September 1st. I hope this was the right print to choose, and it will draw folks into my studio during the Tour, on the 16th and 17th of September.

I guess what draws me most to this photo is the gradual change in tone on the leaf as it curls outward, against the consistent tonal value of the soil. The structure of the leaf is also intrigues me. What do you think?

No comments: